Friday, September 4, 2009

Samson

I have never been a huge fan of the story of Samson. I mean it seemed more like a story for guys - big strong man, fighting battles and defeating enemies with his bare hands, falling in love with a woman he shouldn't, etc. And it was always a kind of sad story about how he was deceived, didn't realize that the Spirit had left him, and was finally captured by the enemy. He had his eyes put out and was ridiculed by the people he had previously caused to tremble just by saying his name. (Side note, this reminds me of the hyenas in The Lion King movie.....Mufasa!). Samson's final act was to destroy the enemy but he lost his life in doing so. What a story, right?

However, several months ago when the story of Samson was being taught in Sunday School, something jumped out at me like it never has before. In two or three different places in the story of Samson before he begins his role as "judge" it speaks of the Spirit of God moving in him or stirring within him. Before it was time for him to actually step into his destiny, his place, his purpose in God's will, the Spirit began to work in his life. It began to stir within him. What did this feel like?

Well, I've often pondered if it felt like the restless feeling I've had within me for months now. A restless...can't quite put your finger on it....a yearning of the heart and soul....a longing to do something more. Is that what Samson felt? Did he feel like the Nazarite vow had some more purposeful meaning? Had his mother told him the story of the angel appearing to them foretelling of Samson's birth and how he was to be raised? Did he often lay awake at night trying to figure out why he was called to this life? And wonder when he might know why he was called?

This restless feeling in the Spirit could be worrisome if I dwelt on it. However, I'm choosing to keep my thoughts re-focused so that it is not about me and who I am in God's plan and when I'm supposed to take my destined spot in His plan or where that might be exactly. I'm choosing to focus on Him as my Father who is teaching me, Him as a Potter who is molding me, Him as a Faithful Friend who is always with me. I choose to focus on Him as Creator, Designer, and Sovereign God who knows how to raise up kings and kingdoms and bring them down at the exact times they should be. I accept this restless feeling as a way to keep me from being too comfortable where I am so that I will be ready to move when He calls. If I get too comfortable then I will hesitate even more to be obedient. And my greatest desire is to obey Him with all of my life.

Samson....he is one of my new favorite stories. I feel ya, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment