Friday, September 4, 2009

Jonah

Yesterday my oldest child turned seven. It is hard to believe that seven years ago that I was in labor in a hospital room not knowing if I was going to have a little boy or a little girl. And hours later a beautiful baby boy with lots of dark hair weighing 10 lbs 1 oz was put in my arms. He was the most amazing thing I had ever laid my eyes on.

Now, I had the name Jonah picked out since I was in high school. If you don't remember, Jonah is the name of the Tom Hanks' son in the movie Sleepless in Seattle. When Jason and I started dating and knew we would marry, I decided to use Jason's middle name which was also his grandfather's name if we had a son. So, the name Jonah Argo for a little boy was a given as soon as I found out I was pregnant. So, when they told me it was a little boy and brought him to me, laid him in my arms, then I had the little Jonah Argo that I had always dreamed of having.

Jonah was such a happy baby. He smiled all of the time and laughed so easily. He loved to be rocked and at times I wondered if the child would ever learn to go to sleep on his own without being rocked. Jonah loved cartoons - Veggie Tales and Wiggles ranked among his favorites. I guess because there was so much singing and he loved to dance. Jonah has had a ball in his hand from the time that he could sit up. There were hours spent with Jonah propped up against the couch and one of us sitting across from him rolling the ball back and forth. And he loved to play with tractors. We had a small toy tractors and lawn mowers that went everywhere with us. He would play with them constantly. I guess it had to do with his daddy having tractors and lawn mowers that Jonah was completely fascinated with them. He loved to ride the tractor or lawn mower with his daddy. He would sit there contentedly forever. It was almost as bad having a tractor for him to play with as it was to have a pacifier.

He has brought so much joy to our lives. He laughs alot and enjoys playing games. Competitive but more with himself than anyone else. Jonah is very family oriented. He loves his parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins and enjoys spending time with them. And he is such a smart boy. I can remember when he was just a little over 2 years old and he could tell us the directions to go from our house to Pa and Nanny's house or from church back home. He's always loved to color, draw and write. Last year he learned about the internet and how we can get on there and play games. He loves to get on webkinz and play games to earn money and take care of his pets. And in school he just seems to soak up all of the learning. I'm already amazed at the things he can read and how creative he is with his imagination.

Jonah is a very responsible 7 year old. Of course at times he thinks he is much older than he is and believe he can do things without asking. Such as making sandwiches for him and his brother the other afternoon in the kitchen before dinner or going out to the shop to "work" on something for dad. One day he volunteered to mow the yard because he said he knew how to drive the lawn mower already. He is such a great help. You can give him multiple tasks to do and know that he will do it. Remind him to ask the teacher something at school and he certainly will.

And he is a very friendly child. It amazes me that he knows so many teachers and children from his school and he is only in first grade. It is nothing unusual for us to go to Walmart or the grocery store and see someone that speaks to Jonah or that Jonah speaks to. And if he has met them once, then he will forever remember them.

I am so blessed with this wonderful son. What a kid! Happy Birthday Jonah!


No comments:

Post a Comment